Workshop MetaData: qualifying Web Objects
MetaData for quality control of information in Physics
E.R.Hilf, University of Oldenburg, Germany 14.10.1997; Osnabrück
Information Management in Physics
national: DPG German Physical Society (38.000 members).
scope and objectives document (together with publishers)
- participation in metadata workgroup with Osnabrück
- organisation of national testbed, author training
- DFN Project EPRINT
- international: EPS (new committee; EuroPhysDoc/Dep; big five)
- interdisciplinary: IuK projects (dissertations online, workgroups)
Global Info Projects (BMBF Programme)
- Preprojects: 16 Universities, 13 publishers,
7 (now 6) international publishers,
some experts, interested third parties
- GIC and steering committees: slot 3: Metadata,...
first workshops in November 1997.
- Main projects, e.g. MetaData,...
Quality Control of documents
Ph.-D. theses, publications, preprints, comments, movies,..
The real desaster of the INETBIB discussion was the overlapping assumptions
of rights to insert MetaData.
MetaData for authentication: registration, freezing date,
rights to add, change, delete metainformation.
MetaData for archiving: (extracting index information, adding archival
information for better searching, etc.)
Libraries, archives, departments, authors, readers.
What do we need?
cooperation between the different partners (libraries, archives, authors,
definition and technical realization of the authentication rights of the
information and training of users;
acceptance by institutions.